48. Bittersweet Blessing - Ashley Salazar




I’ve never watched 16 and Pregnant, so I’m not sure what made me read this book but it seemed interesting to me. Being that age and having a baby is something which I cannot fathom doing, I can’t even imagine it at 25! On top of that, I can’t imagine letting a TV crew into my life and following me throughout the process. Ashley has obviously been naive in believing she wouldn’t get pregnant, but during the process, she does seem to have a sensible head on her shoulders. 

The original concept came from her starting a blog to document her feelings and experiences but she was picked up by the MTV team and they also started following her. It’s interesting that she notes that they were quite outside of the process and didn’t overly direct her or set up scenes. It all felt very honest and emotional. 

The most emotional and difficult bit for me came after the birth, with Ashley closing to give up the baby to her family members to adopt. She then changes her mind, takes her back and tries to be a good mum. Ultimately she realises that it’s for the best but it was heart wrenching to read. 


This was quite a short and easy book to read but there’s a lot of feeling and power in her words, even though she’s not an accomplished author, she manages to get her story across beautifully. 

I don't really have a bad thing to say about this book if I'm honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment