32, The Girl Behind the Blog

As I said before, I'm debating making this blog slightly more personal than just reviewing books the whole time. I'm still not 100% sure about this decision but I thought I'd do the 50 facts about me thing that's been floating about forever. If I don't end up doing that, hey, at least I've introduced myself and you know a little bit about the girl behind the books.

1. I was born around 6 days late - my mum was due on the 12th of July and I arrived on the 18th. I still very often struggle with lateness.

2. I wish on 11:11 and the first star I see, though I see less of them now I live in the city centre.



3. I fall in and out of love with things easily - I watched S1&2 of Game of Thrones in a week and haven't watched any since because I'm bored of it.

4. I always wanted to be a teacher, to the point of making worksheets and leaving my grandfather homework.

5. Always reading - I've always been a bookworm and once got caught out of bed, reading by the landing light when I should have been asleep. I always read ahead in school as well.

6. I love the colour pink and unicorns and do not give a damn.

7. I got a Barbie for my 21st birthday. She's the limited edition Hard Rock Cafe "Rockabilly Barbie" with tattoos and whatnot. LOVE.

8. Speaking of which, I currently have 8 tattoos - technically 9 as Beetlejuice was removed and is being covered up with gerbera daisies.

9. I have 14 piercings at the moment but have had more including my septum, wrist, handweb and smilie!

10. The loves of my life have been my 2 baby girl rats Lola and Poppy. I miss them! Lola used to lick up my nostrils and Poppy was just a sweetheart.

11. Perfume of choice is Coco Mademoiselle, mixed with Lush Snow Fairy shower gel when I don't run out.



12. Disney is my happy place. I don't care if I'm 25 - everyone needs a little magic and fairytale in their life.

13. I wish I was musical and plan to at least attempt to learn to play the ukulele...

14.  ...inspired by Amanda Palmer, of course.

15. Additionally, my favourite author is Neil Gaiman.

16. I am pretty much, usually cold. Which means I get warm very fast, because cold is my natural temperature!

17. I moan, but I like being outside. My window is always open.

18.One of my favourite places in Edinburgh is Cramond - walking to the waterfall and up the river and feeding the ducks. One day someone will take me out to the Island. Another, weirdly, is Greyfriar's Cemetary. I love the history of my city.

19. Stationary is my weakness. I love paper and notebooks.


20. I love being beside the sea and the beach - I listen to wave sounds to relax and help me sleep.

21. I love whales and Arctic animals. I got to do a behind the scenes experience with Beluga Whales at Seaworld a few years ago, before I came to my senses are realised how evil they are but it was an amazing experience with beautiful animals that I feel priviledged to have interacted with.

22. Drink of choice is Strongbow and Blackcurrent.

23. My favourite food in the world is pizza. It can do no wrong. Maybe also burgers. I really like food. Also both contrain cheese, which I used to get blocks off from the deli when I was a kid instead of sweeties.

24. I've been dealing with depression since I was 20/21 and it's something I'm no longer worried or shy about talking about.

25. I've done 5 different art courses (including portfolio, graphics and textiles) and have finally settled into my hospitality degree. I'd love to end up running my own wee bar but it would need to be unique in it's own way. Maybe a retro theme and definitely live music and cocktails.

26. Despite academically not being for me, I still love doodling, sewing, knitting, embroidery and other crafty things I picked up while doing arty stuff.



27. I'm a musical hoarder - I like having bands and musicians recommended to me and that's how I discover new music. It started with my dad showing me his "sounds of the 70s" videos and playing me old punk rock as a kid.

28. Off the top of my head, some of my favourite music includes - Blondie, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, Pulp & Jarvis Cocker, Amanda Palmer, Aerosmith, The Misfits, Mumford and Sons, Laura Marling, The Long Blondes, Milky Chance, The Pretenders, Mogwai, Janis Ian, Franz Ferdinand, Belle & Sebastian, Joni Mitchell, Lykke Li, Elvis, Los Campesinos!, The Pipettes, The Hold Steady, Dropkick Murphys, Camera Obscura, Frightened Rabbit, Alkaline Trio, Le Tigre, Horrorpops, Ryan Adams, The Cramps, The Bird and the Bee, X ray Spexs....I could go on. Genre-wise I love rockabilly, psychobilly, electro-swing, punk, rock. And at the moment, I'm in love with The Real Tuesday Weld (thank you!)

29. My "song" is Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart - cheesy but singing it at the top of my voice makes me happy. One of my favourite songs is Tiny Dancer by Elton John.

30. I find it hard to pick a favourite book as I've read so many but To Kill a Mockingbird is definitely a main contender.

31. I love fairytales and think everyone should belive in a little bit of magic. As Roald Dahl said -

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” 

32. I've taken a few terms of burlesque classes and performed at the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen. I did a group performance inspired by Austin Powers and was a Fembot. 

 
33.  I kind of like being made to feel scared and paranoid by films and books. 

34. I think I believe in some sort of life after death. Not necessarily ghosts and hauntings, but the leaving of energy and some part of the spirit. 

35.  I am not a fan of chocolate and can only ever eat a tiny bit if I'm craving something sweet. I'd rather have a bag of crisps. 

36.  The way to my heart is with good music and Italian food - playing with my hair helps too.

37. I find spontaneity, humour, intelligence and curiosity attractive. As well as eyes and beards. Tattoos can't hurt either. I like to complain I'm not a fan of romance but I am...but be unique.

38. I'm very patriotic and love being Scottish. My love of tartan may or may not be related to this.

 39.  I love being in water, tho struggle to get into cold swimming pools. I will settle for regular baths until I can afford a flat or house with a swimming pool.

40. I love space and the sky and stars. I want to lie on the bonnet of a car with someone and stare at the sky like the do in films. I'll settle for lying on a blanket in a field of grass.

41. I love Disney villains more than I love the Princesses. Ursula, Maleficent and the Wicked Queen from Snow White are my favourites.

42. I wish I had better handwriting. I'd love to master calligraphy.

43. As much as I love words, I don't think I'm very good with them. I wish I was creative with words and could write poetry or lyrics.

44. I'm a cat person. 

 45. I hate having things on my feet. As soon as I'm inside I want to take off my shoes and socks/tights. Apologies if you invite me to your house and I do this, especially because, as a barmaid, the smell of my feet is not pretty. 

46. I own more red lipsticks than I could ever get through. Most of them aren't even vastly different shades.

47. I've been dying my hair since I was 12. I've been black, red, pink, blue, gray, purple, ginger and have finally settled on blonde (and a range of wash-out dyes). I've never been brunette and am not 100% sure what my natural colour is anymore.

48. I have issues with sleeping which is why I'm sitting writing this at 4am. I've tried everything. Only certain things help.

49. I can't ride a bike but I wish I could. I've tried to learn but always get frustrated and give up. I'd also like to learn to rollerblade but I'm insanely clumsy.

50. I'm stubborn, determined and bossy. I show my emotions too easily and often let them get the better of me. I wear black eyeliner and red lipstick religiously. I believe in karma and putting good out into the world. I collect other peoples words. I want to travel the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment